Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Postives and Negatives of "Welfare" Epics

Recently my friend brought up a point about how unfair these so-called "welfare" epics are for people who have been PVPing a long time, and how people just getting into PVP, or brand new 70s are essentially being handed epic PVP items without putting in the time and how every time a new arena season starts, the older arena items get easier and easier to get while the newest items get harder due to the recent personal ratings needed to achieve some of the items. I thought about this a bit and came up with a positive and negative argument to this topic.

Why making it easier to get PVP items is a good thing:

  1. No need to play the catch-up game: Many people who are new to level 70 could easily feel they would never, ever catch up to hardcore PVPers. I started late in the game and for two solid months I was demolished in BGs and arenas alike. I very nearly gave up the entire PVP experience until a couple good friends forced me to go with them, and only then did I start warming up to the experience as PVP gear trickled in. I wish I could cash in honor and metals for good PVP gear and not have to play catch up from when I first stepped into the arena. For those new to level 70 they can easily slip into PVP without having to spend months and months just to earn gear to pose a threat.
  2. You can start to PVP with an alt relatively quickly: I think of how long it took me to get my first 70 into PVP and the thought of doing the same for my alt? No thanks. Almost every person I know designates one character to PVP due to the sheer amount of time it would take to raise an alt to that level as well.
  3. High end PVPers will never truly be caught up to: PVPers who think new characters will catch up to them gear wise are just wrong. My friend brought up the floor/ceiling analogy. Every time the floor is raised gear wise, the ceiling rises in an equal proportion. Therefore, people who continue to PVP will always have their gear at a significant advantage over those just starting. For example, at the moment its fairly easy to get Season 1 gear via running BGs, yet those hard core PVPers have season 3. As soon as a new season starts, perhaps season 2 will be available by honor points, and hard core PVPers will have season 4 gear. As long as they do not stop playing for a period of months, their gear will always be better then the casual/ new PVPer.

Why making it easier to get PVP items is a bad thing:

  1. "I just purchased the latest, best item which took 3 months and this newb's item is almost as good as mine": It is a valid concern, but I look at it the same way how computers and electronics effect all of us. Everything is evolving, things are becoming more powerful and cheaper and there is no way to stop it. Many of us have spent huge amounts of money on top of the line computers, only to have it become obsolete within a matter of months to something more powerful and cheaper. Get over it.
  2. "I have earned everything I own and never got a break, why should they?": Another valid point, but the grim reality must be known. People who get into PVP easier means more people enjoy PVP, which means more people playing WoW. Blizzard wants as many subscribers to WoW as possible and the way they are making it easier to start into BGs and arenas means more people will want to play and keep their subscriptions which means more money for Blizzard. There is a word to describe this. It is called "Capitalism" and it is how businesses are able to make and distribute games like WoW.

No comments: